Tuesday 26 October 2010

A Victorian bodice

Late Victorian clothes aren't my strong point, so if you have other ideas on the dating, please tell me. My guess is around 1880-1890. It's in black silk, and it has no boning. From the look of it, there never were any either.

Two pics of the front.The belt is part of the structure and can't be removed.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Detail of the belt.
Photobucket

The back.
Photobucket

The inside, front.
Photobucket

Detail of the pleated basque. The lining of the basque is of a much lighter fabric than the rest of the bodice lining.
Photobucket

The sleeves are plain apart from the small pouffe at the shoulders, and 3/4 long.
Photobucket

There are two small tucks at the wrist.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Jen Thompson said...

I'd say early 1870's. The straight waist, V-neck, little peplum, and shape of the back pieces and sleeves are very typical for that era. There' a similar bodice in Patterns of Fashion from 1869-70, I think.

Isis said...

I'm sure you are right, Jen. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...