Tuesday 7 June 2011

Blue 1790's outfit


This was a totally un-planned outfit. In December 2009 I stumbled over this painting and fell in love with the blue and rose outfit. Love at first sight and I just knew I wanted it for the 12th Nigh Ball that was (then) a month away...




I reversed the colours on the jacket and the sash as I had a piece of blue velvet that I wanted for the jacket. I adapted the bodice pattern for the round gown, borrowing a little from Janet Arnold for the back. The jacket on the painting gives rather a lot to the imagination so I took the back from this riding gown that I have always liked.



The front has so far been pinned close, but when I find the buttons I want, I’m going to put them in. The sash is made of two-toned taffeta- the only fabric I bought especially for this project. The peaked back has a bone to make sure it doesn’t fold and has a self-fringe.



The petticoat is made of blue grey silk taffeta that I had had in my stash for years. The pattern is similar to the round gown as well. Cartridge pleats MB, and then the rest pleated so most of the width is on the backside. It also has a short trail, though I omitted the flounce.



I really love this outfit, of all my favourites, this is my number one. I do feel that the hat and gloves lifted it. The day this photo was taken a little girl came up to me and asked me I was a real princess.



I also made a little bag in blue velvet and one of these days I'm going to find better gloves too.

3 comments:

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

It's gorgeous! I love that blue velvet on you, its sensuosity and richness really suits you :)

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

you are an excellent seamstress! that dress fits like a dream; you should totally be in that painting! beautiful! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Isis said...

MrsC: Thank you! I had had that velvet for 20 years so it was nice to finally find a fitting project for it.

Hope: Thank you, so sweet of you to say that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...