Tuesday 18 October 2011

Some more 17th century ladies

This is my last batch of 17th century pictures. I hope you'll enjoy them!

I like the "buttons" that alternate down the front.




A very long-haired lady- don't you think it looks like the clasp on the shoulder also pins the hair to it? If you enlarge you can see that the bodice actually have seams, even if it looks smooth at first.



I don't think these sleeves reflect the current fashion, but it's pretty nevertheless.





I'm not sure that I like this gown, but I think it's a nice contrast with the black bows.



Is her collar drool-worthy, or what?



It may look like another boring old black dress, but enlarge it and enjoy the details like the seams on the bodice and the skirt that has first been pleated in small pleats and then big ones.

4 comments:

Sanna K said...

I'm in love with that white one, alongside with the one beneath of it! The hair and cap is awful, though...

Isis said...

Lydia: I think it's the hair, mostly- I think the cap could work if the hair was better...

Anonymous said...

I love how different every lady's look is. I know many are decades apart, but the overall variation is quite stunning. I adore the lady with the huge collar and weird hairdo. My hair gets curly like that after I've left it up in braids for many hours. In fact, she looks enough like me (and her hair is unruly enough) that she may be my historical twin...

Isis said...

thepragmaticcostumer: Indeed! I have heard the complaints that the 17th century fashions are so boring and same-same, but I say that you can't have looked at it proper then. :)

I have never found myself in paintings, but from time to time I see friends. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...